About Me

My photo
A slightly insane mother to three girls ages 11,11, and 5. I live/love to find the humor in being a parent.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ahh! To be Young Again...

I know this blog is meant to be a place where I can share some of my humorous ( at least I'd like to think) trials and tribulations of being a mom to twin tweens, but today I am compelled to write about pre-schoolers as my 4 year old most certainly falls into this category. I have had an interesting week so far with my girls as it is winter break for all four of us. The conclusion I have arrived at is probably common to all, it must be great to be four!
 Here it is, ala David Letterman.

Top Ten Reasons it must be awesome to be four...

1.  You can sing about anything, anywhere at the top of your lungs regardless of who is around and what you are singing about. Yesterday Shayna started in the morning singing about breakfast, this continued on throughout the day with her dolls, and I also heard her in the bathroom singing "The Poopy Song".  It can't get better than that.

2.  Getting caught is okay, when you are four. She was reaching for the cookies at nine am in the morning. I looked at her, she looked at me and gave me a "grin" that said it all. "You caught me but I am so damn cute, it's okay". No, she didn't get the cookie, but managed another yogurt and some cuddle time out of the deal.

3. Cleaning up is actually playing. I just have to ask her if she wants to use the swiffer or broom and she gets excited.  You should see her when I let her use the Clorox wipes! Of course the result is not stellar, but should I complain that my four year old is pushing a dust mop around the floor? I think not.

4. Hand-me-downs are still cool. All I have to say when I put her in a "new to you" pair of Pajamas is that they belonged to her big sisters. She will strut around all day if I let her, feeling just like one of the big girls.

5. Work is fun. I always tell my kids that learning is their job. Preschool is fun to a four year old, they can't wait to get there and never want to leave at pick-up time. On the rare days that homework is sent home, like the letter box we had to fill with things that start with the letter "d", the excitement is tantamount.

6. Finding a penny is like finding a 100 dollar bill on the street. This happened the other day (the penny, not the $100.00) and I swear she took it to bed with her that night.

7. Grudge? what's that? A four year old does not hold grudges. I did not say they can't get angry, or throw an all out temper tantrum. At the end of the day though, all is forgiven and hugs and kisses are always welcome.

8.  Farts are funny, not embarrassing. Do I really need to explain this?

9. You are big enough to "understand the rules", but still small enough to have them bent a bit for you. My older girls are always complaining that their little sister "gets away with everything". While this is not true, a four year old's leeway is certainly a bit wider than a 10 year old.


And now the drum roll.....

10. Mommy and Daddy are the sun, moon, and stars (this one is my favorite). No matter where you are, as long as you are with mommy and/or Daddy, all is well with the world.

 ©2011 Amy E. Silverstein. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment